Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wow, its been a long time and I'm the only one that knows.

Until the last 2 weeks I had been going to the gym about 4 times a week.  I had been noticing some positive outcomes from this lately too, so although I didn't love going, I was continuing to do so in the hopes that I would get in even better shape.  I decided last minute to participate in a charity 5K walk/run and after I discovered that 5K is about 3 miles.  I thought it was a distance I might be capable of running in spite of the fact that I have not run in several years.  The only cardio I do at the gym is the elliptical machine.  I thought that in preparation for this 5K I would run a couple miles on a treadmill at the gym to see what kind of time I would be looking at.  So I jumped on the treadmill and starting turning the speed up.  Nothing about the treadmill felt right to me.  The speed I had felt too slow too jog, but was too fast to walk.  If I was near the front of the machine I felt like I should use the handles, which was uncomfortable and weird for walking/jogging.  I had to go to the front in spite of my discomfort because of my terror of flying off the back of the treadmill.  Just when I was about to give up and go back to the elliptical machine where I belonged, a cute girl, who while likely out of my league or already spoken for, settled in at a treadmill 2 machines over from me.  I haven't flirted with a girl in years, and I wasn't good at it to begin with, but I thought maybe we would strike up a conversation.  I'm not certain what the most ludicrous part of this thought was:  the idea itself, or that someone would want to talk anyone that was having such a difficult  time on a machine that helps you walk in place.  After a brisk 1/4 mile, I realized that I wasn't making a positive impression on this woman and if I continued on this device I would either fly off of it or pop my shoulder out of its socket due to the death grip I had on the handles.  I got off the treadmill as quickly as I could and walked back to the weight area where a gentleman was screaming like he was climaxing every time he did a rep. After 2 sets of 10, I decided I'd heard enough, gathered up my things, and saw myself out of the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment