Monday, July 16, 2012

Mid-life Crisis

I turn 30 in a few hours and I'm quite unhappy with where I'm at at this point in my life.  I'm overweight, working a pathetic job, I haven't been on a date in 5 years, and I live with my parents in a town where I don't know anyone.  I haven't had any kind of social life in years, and I celebrated my last birthday by watching the women's world cup with my parents.  For all of these reasons I wanted to spend my 30th with friends.  I was offered a job that offered me little other than a little resume padding, very little in the way of compensation, less in the way of a rewarding challenging position, and something to occupy my weekends aside from visiting friends or doing anything. But I needed to take the position because my resume is quite weak.  This meant that I could not celebrate turning 30 with any friends at all.  Because of the depressing state of my life and the fact that I would just be working the day of my birthday and the weekends before my birthday I requested one thing from my parents:  please ignore my birthday.  I will be doing enough thinking about it without you celebrating it and making me think about pathetic my life is.  My dad has mentioned my birthday half a dozen times already tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment